Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) for the treatment of fungal nails.
PDT is a form of light therapy using a light-sensitive compound that is exposed to specific wavelengths of light whereupon said compound becomes toxic to targeted diseased cells and microorganisms (phototoxicity)
PDT involves 3 key components:
- Photosensitizer (light-sensitive compound
- Light source (coherent [lasers] and non-coherent [lamps & LED’s])
- Formation of reactive / toxic oxygen species (Type I and II)
- Thick fungal nail reduced
- 1 drop of methelyne blue formulation is allowed to absorb for 30 seconds
- 2 toes max for max light absorption are irradiated at a high setting for 5 minutes with the light source.
- Treatment is repeated in 2-3 weeks
- Over time, methelyne blue stains less vividly blue as indication of decreased presence of fungus.
- Fungal infected nails absorb more methelyne blue
- Healthy nails absorb less methelyne blue
- Total elapsed time to completion/ clear nail = 10-15 weeks (1 treatment every 2-3 weeks)
- Total treatment cycles estimated for completion / clear nails = 5 cycles
Book Your Appointment
Please Schedule your FREE consultation today and see how we can enhance YOUR beauty, skin and foot health needs.
Urban Selections Plaza 5975 Malden Rd, LaSalle ON N9H 1S7