Being a new mom is an incredible experience filled with so much love and joy. But let’s face it, it can also be physically and emotionally demanding. Getting back into shape and taking care of yourself may not be at the top of your priority list right now, but remember, a healthy mom is a happy mom. Taking care of yourself is just as important as caring for your baby. That’s why we’ve compiled some health and exercise tips as well as classes and non-invasive therapies offered by our dedicated professionals at A Step Above Wellness Centre, specifically for postpartum moms like you.
- Start slow and listen to your body: Your body has been through a lot during pregnancy and childbirth, so it’s essential to start slow and ease back into exercise. Don’t feel pressured to jump right into high-intensity workouts or lose all the baby weight immediately. Listen to your body and give it the time it needs to heal.
How we may help: We offer reformer Pilates classes or individual instruction specifically focused on your postpartum health and recovery.
- Focus on your core: Pregnancy can lead to weakened core muscles, so it’s crucial to target this area for a faster recovery. Incorporate gentle exercises like pelvic tilts and kegels into your routine to help strengthen your pelvic floor and abdominal muscles.
How we may help: Our “Mommy Makeover” program offers two technologies to improve your pelvic floor and rebuild your pelvic and core strength.
- Take short walks: Walking is an excellent way to get back into exercise without putting too much strain on your body. Start with short walks around the block and gradually increase the duration as you feel comfortable. Walking has both physical and mental health benefits, allowing you to get some fresh air and clear your mind.
How we may help: New moms can greatly benefit from incorporating exercise with oxygen therapy into their postpartum routine. By increasing the oxygenation of tissues and cells, recovering from stress-related illnesses, preventing age-related diseases, reversing the ageing process, stimulating the immune system and metabolism, enhancing athletic performance, and potentially aiding in weight loss; EWOT provides a comprehensive approach to overall well-being for new moms.
- Include gentle stretches: Incorporating some simple stretches into your daily routine can help alleviate muscle tension and improve flexibility. Focus on stretching your back, neck, shoulders, and legs to relieve any discomfort caused by breastfeeding, carrying your baby, or constant sitting.
How we may help: Our reformer Pilates classes can help you increase your flexibility and reduce muscle tension.
- Practice self-care: Taking care of your mental health is just as important as physical health. Find time each day to relax and recharge, whether it’s through reading a book, enjoying a bubble bath, practicing meditation, or having a cup of tea. Remember, self-care is not selfish; it’s necessary for your overall well-being.
How we may help: Red light therapy has been shown to increase serotonin levels, which can help improve mood and reduce symptoms of postpartum depression. Additionally, Red light therapy may help with wound healing by increasing collagen production and reducing inflammation. This complementary therapy can help provide relaxation and promote a sense of general well-being for new moms.
- Fuel your body with nutritious food: It can be tempting to reach for convenience foods or forget to eat altogether when you’re constantly busy caring for your baby. However, eating a well-balanced diet is crucial for your postpartum recovery. Aim to have three balanced meals filled with fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains. Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day too.
How we may help: We offer metabolic-based nutritional counselling based on your body’s needs.
- Get enough rest: As a new mom, you may be sleep-deprived, and it’s essential to prioritize your rest whenever possible. Take advantage of napping when your baby sleeps, or ask for help from your partner or loved ones to take care of the baby while you catch up on some much-needed rest.
How we may help: The Theta Rest Pod promotes deep relaxation, helping the body and mind to unwind, reduce stress and release tension. This sensory deprivation chamber can help induce a state of relaxation that is conducive to better sleep.
- Take care of your vagina: While your focus will certainly be your newborn, it’s critical to take care of your postpartum health, including your vagina. New moms often experience pain, swelling, “openness”, laxity and dryness. During this time, it’s important to use gentle soap. Try cold compresses and/or warm sitz baths for pain and swelling. Be sure to speak to your gynecologist about things to avoid completely as your vagina heals.
How we may help: The EMFEMME 360 device utilizes radio-frequency technology to apply heat to vaginal tissue in order to enhance tightness and improve its overall condition. It has obtained FDA 510k clearance, indicating its intended use for temporary pain relief, alleviating muscle spasms, and promoting increased local circulation. These therapeutic properties make it particularly suitable for addressing vaginal laxity following childbirth.
Finally, it’s important to remember that every mom’s journey is unique. It’s crucial not to compare yourself to others or put unnecessary pressure on yourself. Celebrate the little victories, whether it’s a short walk or enjoying a healthy meal. Be kind to yourself, and don’t forget that you’re doing an amazing job as a new mom.
When you are able to take care of yourself, everything else will fall into place. You’ve got this!
Please reach out to learn about upcoming classes and available therapies to help you: 519-970-9006